“Change is not merely necessary to life — It is life!”
Every year all good businesses Micro, Small, Medium and Large look at what has happened in the past year/years and tries to predict what they want to achieve in the coming year/years. –Well at least I trust they all do otherwise they could be heading down a slippery slope to being an ex-business very fast.
There are always things we are great at and that the market wants and we should Continue doing these things. Then there are new demands for our products and services which we should Start doing if we want to keep our existing and attract new clients. Then there are the things we do badly and that clients either want of don’t and these we should either Stop doing or Change what we are doing.
It really is not rocket science but there is always the mistake most businesses make and that is they presume they know what the clients/markets want and need. The really successful businesses do not assume they know — they ASK the Client/Customer and then only do they apply the strategies and plan to provide what is wanted. And the Great companies of course deliver more than what is wanted or expected.
The Key to survival and prosperity is Change.
Albert Einstein defined insanity/madness as “Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result”. And this put another way is – you must change to make it happen and to achieve the results you want.
But just the word Change makes people feel that their world is crumbling. Some run away, some become inert and some go into deep states of depression. The successful ones learn how to cope with change and if they are business owners they learn how to implement change without causing the reactions mentioned above for their teams. – This is not just a hit and miss process – it is a skill one needs to learn BEFORE implementing the changes not after as then it is too late.
So what then are the keys to and effective change intervention:-
- Understand the real need for the change – The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of the situation.
- Get the right people together to lead the change in the company.
- Create a “Dream-board” of the desired end result
- Share and communicate the “Dream-board” with all until the accept and buy into it
- Allow them to “Go For It” – remove red tape and obstacles – Give power with responsibility and accountability.
- Celebrate Milestone Successes as they happen – “What gets recognised gets repeated” Adolph Kaestner
- Implement all the changes that worked and keep on promoting their usage – create a vibe of energy and excellence.
- Make them a Habit and a Home Grown Tool for success so that the process continues.
If you are not sure that you can do this on your own get someone to help. Failure is not an option and does more harm and breaks the trust for future change interventions. The people affected also need to be shown how to cope with the change which in itself is a skill that needs to be known to all and especially the change agents.
But above all do not be afraid of implementing change. Winston Churchill shared these sage words with us “There is nothing wrong in change — if it is in the right direction. To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to have to change often”.
Enjoy changing, adopting new projects and processes and the success they bring with them.